[Python-Dev] Discussion on the Python RPMs...

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:27:36 -0700

On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 10:33:47AM +0100, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>> For test releases, I've been using the full release name as the extension,
>> /usr/bin/python2.2c1 (or was it just python2.2?).  This is so that multiple
>> versions can be installed 1.5.2, 2.1, 2.2c1...
>
>That doesn't really work, does it? 2.2c1 would overwrite
>/usr/lib/python2.2, which might be there from a prior Python 2.2
>installation. If it is just python2.2, that scheme would work.

It doesn't work when going from 2.x* to 2.x*, but it does work in all other
cases...  That's more a python issue than an RPM issue though, as it's the
same thing that would happen with a source install of Python (unless the
libdir were re-located).

>Ideally, there should be an easy way to either install your RPMs
>alongside with the system RPMs, or to replace the system RPMs. In the
>latter case, 'rpm -U' could be used to upgrade from the system Python
>to your binaries. This might be tricky, as the names and structures of
>the Python RPMs vary widely.

That is the way it's set up right now.  The binary RPMs you download from
python.org install and provide "python2", which can be installed along-side
the stock RedHat python (which installs and provides "python").  However
it's easy to change the RPM build so that you can take the source RPM and
build without the binary extension (creating a 2.2 RPM which provides
"python").

Sean
--
 Read error: 666 (Connection reset by Satan)
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>