[Python-Dev] Discussion on the Python RPMs...

Sean Reifschneider jafo-python-dev@tummy.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 20:48:15 -0700

Guido and I have, for a while, been having some discussions about the
Python RPMs.  He suggested that I bring the topic up here for further
discussion.

One of the biggest things that we've discussed is that of the naming of the
resultant Python.  With the 2.1 releases, I started installing the latest
stable Python as /usr/bin/python2, so as not to conflict with the Red Hat
1.5.2 version installed in /usr/bin/python (which many of the system tools
require).

For test releases, I've been using the full release name as the extension,
/usr/bin/python2.2c1 (or was it just python2.2?).  This is so that multiple
versions can be installed 1.5.2, 2.1, 2.2c1...

I know there are some other things brought up, but I can't remember them
off hand.  If it weren't for hackingsociety.org, I probably wouldn't have
*ANY* time to work on community projects this month...

So, first of all, comments on the current naming scheme?  Note that the
binary extension can be easily changed by modifying one line in the .spec
file and building again.  Handy for users who just want to forget about
1.5.2 and don't mind that some of the RedHat tools may break.

Also, any other comments on the RPMs?

Thanks,
Sean
--
 Canadian phone sex: What kind of hockey jersey are you wearing?
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>