[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip@red-dove.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:39:20 -0000

[Barry Scott]
> Getting the logging system right is not easy. From the design
> discussions we have been through for a C++ logging system recently
> I would argue that the importance order is wrong.
>
> FRom PEP 282
>  DEBUG
>  INFO
>  WARN
>  ERROR
>  FATAL
>
> Suggested
>  DEBUG
>  WARN
>  INFO
>  ERROR
>  FATAL
>
> The reasoning is that INFO messages affirms actions (Example: user logged
> on, call placed),
> whereas WARN messages can frequently be ignored. (Example: disk space is
> running low,
> old interface used)
>
> Of course if you implement them a categories instead of an ordered
sequence
> the user can turn
> on and off the categories that are interesting.
In the proposed implementation, you can implement whatever order you need
for your application. But the suggested order in PEP282 makes more sense to
me because INFO messages require no specific actions, whereas WARN messages
do invite actions. Of course they can be ignored, though sometimes at peril
of inviting disaster (e.g. if disk space actually gets exhausted). So the
rationale is -

DEBUG - detail information, of use to developers trying to diagnose the
cause of a problem.
INFO - give you a warm feeling that things are going according to plan.
WARN upwards - indication that some remedial action is required, with an
indication of how bad things could get.

Regards

Vinay