[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Matthias Urlichs smurf@noris.de
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 20:21:29 +0100

Hi,

Tim Peters:
> It seems that having a logger module *at all* is a YAGNI for 99% of users
> 99% of the time.  That suggests that, if it's a good idea to have one
> anyway, it should cater to the 1% of users who need it 1% of the time.  This

I disagree.

How many programs write to stderr with some undefined stuff which is
either too much or not enough information? Probably lots.

The next user then wants to use that same program as a daemon and needs to
figure out how to get the stuff to Syslog safely.

The next one wants to use it as a module, link it into HTTP and needs to
figure out how to package some of the text into an HTML error message.

Thus, my take is that as soon as you have a sensible system to do logging
with, far more than the 1% of people who "need logging" now will adapt to
it.

> makes me uncomfortable about rejecting requirements from people who actually
> use logging heavily.

I'd make the simple stuff easy and the complicated stuff possible.
This approach suggests that the PEP in its current form is too
complicated:

- Formatters are associated with handlers -- it makes no sense to
  XML-format a Syslog message, and the default is going to be "msg % args"
  anyway.

- Filters are handlers which don't print anything. Instead, they throw a
  StopLogging exception.

Thoughts?

--
Matthias Urlichs     |     noris network AG     |     http://smurf.noris.de/