[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:52:33 -0500

  GvR> Zope is a sophisticated application that has needs that go far
  GvR> beyond those of most Python users.  I'm very happy that it's
  GvR> proved possible to write Zope in Python.  But I don't think it
  GvR> should be the measuring stick by which the functionality of the
  GvR> standard library must be measured.

This makes me want to ask a more fundamental question.  What are the
expected use cases for the standard logging module(s)?  Who is the
customer?

I've never used a logging library before I used Zope, and never really
thought I needed one.  (Perhaps it would have been useful in Grail.)
It seems that prints are good enough for small applications and that
more complex logging libraries are mostly useful for sophisticated
applications.  If logging is mostly useful for sophisticated
applications, it would be a mistake to declare their requirements as
too complex.  On the other hand, maybe Zope should continue to use its
own logging tools.

I may just be suffering from tunnel vision, but perhaps the PEP could
have more text about the movitation.  Why kinds of problems does it
solve?  For what kinds of programs?

lets-write-a-logging-tool-for-ndiff-ly y'rs,
Jeremy