[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 19:26:42 -0800

Kevin, which side are you advocating here?
Definitions:
    'AGAINST' means to NOT provide the ability to log exceptions at levels
        other than ERROR
    'FOR' means that that functionality SHOULD be provided.

First you say:

[Kevin Butler wrote]
> [Guido van Rossum wrote]
> > I'd like to call YAGNI on this.  Also on the idea of being able
> > to pass an exception to all logging levels.
>
> I'd like to "Not Need It" as well, but the code I've written
> using log4j and the code I've written & maintained with a couple of other
> logging systems have needed it.

which implies that you are AGAINST.

Then:

> That log statement is useful in debugging or maybe as a warning,
> but is definitely not an ERROR, because the computer has a
> valid way to continue the operation.

which implies you are FOR it.

Then:

> [Jeremy Hilton wrote:]
> > The feature is simple to explain and implement, and seems to have low
> > implementation cost.  So I certainly think it meets the simplest thing
> > that could possibly work criteria.
>
> +1

which implies again that you are FOR it.

> And it promotes "there's one obvious way to do it".
> And it is consistent with existing de facto standard systems.

which I am not sure if that implies you are FOR it or confused over which
side Jeremy is supporting.

Confused-ly yours, :)
Trent

--