[Python-Dev] Debug entry points for PyMalloc

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 22:28:28 +0100

On donderdag, maart 21, 2002, at 09:12 , Mark Hammond wrote:

> Martin:
>> Tim Peters <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:
>>
>>> The thing I've dreaded most about switching to pymalloc is losing the
>>> invaluable memory-corruption clues supplied by the Microsoft
>>> debug-build
>>> malloc.
>>
>> I thought that the malloc hooks in pymalloc where precisely introduced
>> for this kind of debugging. Just put the VC malloc hooks into
>> _PyCore_ObjectMalloc_SetHooks, and enjoy the features you had been
>> using all the time.
>
> I like the idea of pymalloc doing this itself.  It is not hard, and
> universally useful.

+1. MacPython still has Mac/mwerks/malloc as an optional private
malloc (not used normally, it used to be much speedier than the
platform malloc, but that one got better all the time) and it is
almost identical in feature set to what Tim described.

Guido:
 > Rather than trying to mimic this in pymalloc, isn't it easier to have
 > a way to go back to the platform malloc?

It would be so nice if this were a standard feature. For
instance, I never realized that Windows malloc could do all the
tricks I've always used my private malloc for.

http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
- If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution --
Emma Goldman -