[Python-Dev] Next version of PEP278 - universal newline support - available

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:27:48 -0500

[Jon Ribbens]
> (And yes I know on Windows it already does stupid things, but that's
> the operating system's fault not the language.)

It's actually C's "fault":  everything Windows does in text mode is 100%
fine by the C standard.  Indeed, as OSes go, Windows is relatively sane
here.  Notwithstanding that Linux is saner, at least from the POV of
developers.  The mass of OSes in which text mode is radically different than
binary mode are arguably saner and safer for end users.

unix-was-the-first-os-designed-without-users-in-mind<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim