[Python-Dev] Next version of PEP278 - universal newline support - available

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:48:04 -0500

Samuele Pedroni wrote:

> From: Skip Montanaro <skip@pobox.com>
> >
> >     Skip> Pass this off to PyChecker?
> >
> >     Samuele> Anyway as long as PyChecker does not work with Jython and is
> >     Samuele> not part of the official distribution, IMO, I would be more
> >     Samuele> critical about what kind of critical code breakage should be
> >     Samuele> dectected by Python and what by PyChecker
> >
> > Take a look at the PyChecker website:
> >
> >     https://sourceforge.net/projects/pychecker/
> >
> > If you check out the PyChecker code, you also get a pychecker2 directory.
> > My understanding is that it works from Python source, not bytecode, the
> > intent being that it should eventually work with Jython.
> >

> Glad of this. But anyway is a long road from here.

Yes, it is.

> It seems that PyChecker2 code is ~10 days old.

Actually, the code is older, but has only been up
on SF for that long.  It's still pretty young, though.

> I have not seen any explicit statement about Jython
> and until Jython 2.2 is out there is no support
> for the needed subset of Lib/compiler on our side.
>
> Of course this approach is easier to support
> for Jython.
>
> And, no, I'm not informed of everything that happens
> in Python-land, I have not seen any announcement
> about PyChecker2 here or on comp.lang.python,
> or on jython's lists.

pychecker2 is a complete rewrite using the stdlib compiler
package.  There are only about 10 warnings generated so far.
One of the goals is to support Jython.  Although,
we have only used CPython so far.

It is usable, but not nearly as capable as pychecker.
One very nice feature is that it is much easier
to add warnings without knowing much about the rest
of the code.  Warnings are generated from classes that
walk the ASTs.  These classes are usually quite small.

Neal