[Python-Dev] Activating pymalloc

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 12:23:05 -0500

[Martin v. Loewis]
> I recommend to enable pymalloc by default; I can commit the necessary
> changes if desired.

+0

There needs to be an extremely easy-to-follow guide for extension authors,
because we know for sure that extensions are going to break in nasty ways.
I personally cannot keep straight which "get memory" function/macros need to
be used with which "release memory" gimmicks, so I'm not even going to try
to write this.

Martin, you were concerned earlier about the possibilities for tricking
pymalloc into crashing the system, given that its flavor of free() takes a
careful but still probabilistic guess about who (pymalloc or "the system")
owns the memory being returned.  Are you no longer concerned abou that?