[Python-Dev] Python interpreter crash.

Fred Drake fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:39:24 -0500

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:31:48 +1300 (NZDT)
 Greg Ewing <greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
 > Ah! I was trying to do something like that a minute ago
 > before answering the original query, but the magic
 > number 8 eluded me. Is it documented anywhere, or is
 > mystic knowledge required?

I'm pretty sure this is documented, though I don't recall
where offhand.

The first four bytes represent a magic number, and the
second four bytes represent the date on which the bytecode
was compiled (or was it the timestamp of the source file?).

It's gotta be in the docs somewhere, else I'd have to just
remember all that!  ;-)  Seriously, if you don't see it in
the docs, file a bug report and tell me where you looked &
why; it probably means there's something missing, if only a
link to wherever it actually is.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>