[Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese)

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 05:10:20 -0800

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> Why go in this direction?  It's better to allow each individual stream
> to specify a codec to be implicitly applied, I think.

Python already has this feature. But the question PEP 0263 answers is
not about runtime streams. It is about Python source files which
obviously must be read and understood before you can even get to these
runtime streams.

> ... Consider Emacs,
> for example, which allows specification of default codecs for (1) file
> contents (2) names of file system objects (3) process I/O (but not I
> and O and E separately, which has caused problems!) (4) console input
> and (5) console output.  All of those are plausible candidates for
> having separate defaults in Python as well.

As PEP 263 is about source code, the analogous situation would be Elisp
files.

 Paul Prescod