[Python-Dev] For review: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:20:07 -0500

[Samuele Pedroni]
>> And will improve doc tests doc readability <wink>.

[Samuele Pedroni]
> Oops that should have been
>
>> And will improve doctest test docstrings readability <wink>.
>
> or doc tests readability <wink>.

I don't think David uses doctest in that way -- to my surprise, *most*
doctest users don't seem to write documentation at all <wink>.

In the core it doesn't matter:  the libraries for a release ship with that
release, and only need to work with that release.  So s/1/True/ etc is fine
there.  I don't mind changing stuff like that, and to the contrary think
it's valuable to get kicked in the teeth with that output *is* changing with
a new release (indeed, automatically catching changes that ordinarily never
get caught is one of doctest's primary goals).  I think changing stuff like
that irritates Guido, though, because he wants to pretend that users don't
care what Python displays from release to release<0.9 wink>.