[Python-Dev] multiple recursion limit bugs

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 19:39:26 -0600

I've been poking through the open bugs and patches(*).  I've run across a
few bug reports about this.  There is a very brief mention of this problem
in the re module doc:

    sre is the default implementation and includes Unicode support, but may
    run into stack limitations for some patterns.

I recently added an example that demonstrates the problem, but I think the
main issue is that the limitation needs to be better documented.  We can
then close most/all of these bug reports as "not a bug" or "known
implementation limitation".  Does this seem like the right approach?

That is, unless /F has plans to remove this limitation.

Skip

(*) I have a new little script that allows me to annotate bugs and patches
in my local database - I intend to publish a static page where people can
quickly scan all open bugs and patches.  Hopefully I'll have enough items
annotated in the next few days to make it worthwhile.