[Python-Dev] datetime +/- scalars (int, long, float)?

Paul Svensson paul@svensson.org
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:32:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Kevin Jacobs wrote:

>The concept of a "day" can be somewhat ambiguous.  I've seen datetime
>implementations that will apply DST changes when asked to adjust by days,
>but not when asked to adjust by seconds, hours or minutes.  So, in the general
>case of a DST aware datetime object,
>
>  t + Delta(days=1) != t + Delta(hours=24)
>
>even when ignoring leap-seconds and other micro-adjustments.  So lets define
>adjustments by "days" for the base datetime object in terms of 86400.0
>seconds.  A DST aware datetime subclass can then be made that does the more
>complex day-based arithmetic.

Or, someone implementing datetime as (julian: integer, seconds: float)
might prefer to let adjustment by "days" be in terms of 1 day.  A DST aware
datetime subclass can then be made that does the more complex time-based
arithmetic.

	/Paul