[Python-Dev] Silent Deprecation Candidate -- buffer()

Raymond Hettinger python@rcn.com
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:04:28 -0400

From: "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik@pythonware.com>
> > As far as I can tell, buffer() is one of the least used or known about
> > Python tools.  What do you guys think about this as a candidate for
silent
> > deprecation (moving out of the primary documentation)?
>
> +1, in theory.

And perhaps in practice.  No replies were received from my buffer() survey
on comp.lang.py:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=e36ac767eb076bf4&rnum=
1

> does anyone have any real-life use cases?  I've never been
> able to use it for anything, and cannot recall ever seeing it
> being used by anyone else...

Also, I scanned a few packages (just the ones I thought might use it like
Gadfly, HTMLgen, Spark, etc) on the Vaults of Parnassus and found zero
occurances.

My Google searches turned-up empty and so did a grep of the library.

Raymond Hettinger