[Python-Dev] PEP 294: Type Names in the types Module

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:27:41 +0200

Oren Tirosh wrote:

> > What would writing
> >
> >    isinstance(obj, types.int)
> >
> > ever gain you except restricting execution to 2.3+?
>
> It's like asking what do you gain by using string methods instead of the
> string module.

no, it's not.  it's not like that at all.

as michael pointed out, we've already added a *third* way to access
type objects in 2.2.  you're adding a *fourth* way.

string methods were added at a time when Python went from one to
two different string types; they solved a real implementation problem.
reducing/eliminating the need for the string module was a side effect.

> It's part of a slow, long-term effort to clean up the language
> while trying to minimize the impact on existing code.

or as likely, part of a slow, long-term effort by to make Python
totally unusable for any serious software engineering...

"who cares about timtowtdi? we add a new one every week!"

"we know what's better for you.  you don't."

"deprecation guaranteed!"

(etc)