[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
24 Jun 2002 00:02:35 -0400

[Barry A. Warsaw]

>     FP> This is why the responsibilities between maintainers and
>     FP> programmers ought to be well split.

> Unfortunately, sometimes one person has to wear both hats and then we
> see the tension between the roles.

I have the same experience, having been for a good while the assigned
French translator for the packages I was maintaining.  But I was splitting
my roles rather carefully, with the precise purpose of seeing where were
lying tensions and problems, and then work at improving how interactions
go between involved parties.

>     >> I18n'ing a program means you have to worry about a lot more
>     >> things.  [...]

>     FP> Internationalisation should not add a significant burden on
>     FP> the programmer.

> It may not be a significant burden, once the infrastructure is in
> place and a rhythm is established, but it is still not non-zero.

The Mailman effort has been especially courageous, as it ought to address
many problems on which we did not accumulate much experience yet, but which
are inescapable in the long run.  For example, I guess you had to take care
of translating external HTML templates, considering some input aspects,
allowing on-the-fly language selection, and of course, looking into more
prosaic non-message "locale" concerns.