[Python-Dev] Playstation 2 and GameCube ports

Jason L. Asbahr groups@crash.org
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:23:50 -0500

Paul,

The PS2 Linux FAQ has a great answer to this:

What are the differences between the Linux (for PlayStation 2) development
environment and that used by professional game developers?

Professional game developers get access to a special version of the
PlayStation 2 hardware which contains more memory and extra debug
facilities. This hardware, known as the T10K, is a lot more expensive than a
commercial PlayStation 2 and is only available to licensed game developers.
If you are seriously interested in becoming a licensed game developer,
please see this link for North America and this link for Europe and
Australasia . In addition to the T10K, licensed game developers get
additional support which is part of the reason that the T10K is so much more
expensive than a PlayStation 2 console.

In terms of access to the PlayStation 2 hardware and libraries, Linux (for
PlayStation 2) offers an almost identical set of functionality to that
provided to licensed game developers. In fact the system manuals provided
with the Linux kit have identical content to 6 of the 7 system manuals
provided  to licensed developers. The missing information which is provided
to licensed developers and not to users of Linux (for PlayStation 2)
describes the hardware that controls the CD/DVD-ROM, SPU2 Audio chip and
other IO peripheral control hardware. This hardware functionality is still
available for use with the linux kit through a software interface called the
Runtime Environment.

The final major difference between the two is the operating system. A
licensed developer creates games for the PlayStation 2 which use a light
weight proprietary operating system kernel. This kernel offers much less
functionality than Linux, but has the advantage of offering slightly faster
access to the hardware.

In most cases, it is possible to get almost the same performance with Linux
(for PlayStation 2) and the professional game development tools.