[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 18:12:57 -0700

Oren Tirosh wrote:

> Compile-time parsing may eliminate the possibility of using the same
> mechanism for internationalization, but not the possibility of using the
> same syntax. A module may provide a function that interprets the same
> notation at runtime.  The runtime version probably shouldn't support full
> expression embedding - just simple name substitution.

I think that there are enough benefits for each form (compile time with
expressions, runtime without) that we should expect any final solution
to support both. Maybe you guys should merge your PEPs!

 Paul Prescod