[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:37:23 -0400

    PKO> I guess what I was really wondering is whether that advantage
    PKO> clearly outways some of the possible disadvantages. I'm not a
    PKO> fan of curly braces and I'll be sad to see more of them in
    PKO> Python. There's something refreshing about only having curly
    PKO> braces for dictionaries and parens everywhere else.  And
    PKO> since the exisiting string substitution uses parens why
    PKO> shouldn't the new?

Personally, I wouldn't mind it if this syntax took a cue from the make
program and accepted both $(name) and ${name} as alternatives to $name
(with nested parenthesis/brace matching).

-Barry