[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:55:34 +0200

On Friday 21 June 2002 04:45 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
	...[re PEP 246]...
> Surely it would be a dramatic change, probably deeper than new-style
> classes and generators together.

Rarely does one catch Guido (or most any Dutch, I believe) in such
a wild overbid.  Heat getting to you?-)

Protocol-Adaptation is (I believe) a nice idea, but somewhat of a
marginal one when compared e.g. to new-style classes (a change
whose consequences still haven't finished propagating through the
language -- witness the recent issues about making exception
classes new-style vs keeping them classic) -- and most evidently
so if you ALSO add generators to that side of the scales!-)

Alex