[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:33:14 -0400

[Guido, quotes Christian]
>> The following statements are ordered by increasing hate.
>> 1 - I do hate the idea of introducing a "$" sign at all.
>> 2 - giving "$" special meaning in strings via a module
>> 3 - doing it as a builtin function
>> 4 - allowing it to address local/global variables

[and adds]
> Doesn't 4 contradict your +1 on allvars()?

Since Christian's reply only increased the apparent contradiction, allow me
to channel:  they are ordered by increasing hate, but starting at the
bottom.  s/increasing/decreasing/ in his original, or s/hate/love/, and you
can continue to read it in the top-down Dutch way <wink>.