[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:10:10 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> And I believe that even those who consider themselves strongly
> anti-featuritis still have one or two pet features that they really
> need (even self-proclaimed arch-conservative Christian Tismer, who
> went so far as to develop his own version of the language because he
> couldn't get his pet feature adopted).

ROTFLMAO yes, how could I forget. :-)

Well, the real story is this: I created some problems
and some solutions, made people dependant from this,
and now I make my living from maintenance work.

>>I prefer to think of it as a framework that lets most type-casts,
>>type-tests, special purpose type-conversion methods, and the like,
>>be avoided WITHOUT adding a zillion little ad-hoc features.  But of
>>course you could choose to view it differently:-).
>
> Surely it would be a dramatic change, probably deeper than new-style
> classes and generators together.

Sounds as if this would both be very powerful and
might shrink the code base at the same time.
One of the things I like the best.

have-to-start-packing,-too - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>