[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:56:27 -0400

> This is the point I mentioned at the start about effects of user
> base.  Given that the user base is largish AND biased AGAINST
> featuritis, it should HELP you "withstand the pressure to add
> features"... if you WANT to withstand it.  I.e., you'll mostly get
> strong support for any stance of "let's NOT add this".  You may
> dislike that when you WANT to add a feature, but surely not when
> it's about "withstanding the pressure".

I really have to start packing :-), but I've got one more thing to
say.

You say that the use base is biased against featuritis.  Yet the user
base is the largest source of new feature requests and proposals.  How
do you reconcile these?  You yourself pleaded for PEP 246 just an hour
ago.  Surely that's a big honking new feature!

For the user base as a whole, the Myhrvold quote is even more true.