[Python-Dev] *Simpler* string substitutions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:08:32 -0700

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

> > Let's presume a "sub" method with the features of Ping's string
> > interpolation PEP. This would look like:
>
> That's not the PEP being discussed, and if it was, it can't replace
> the % mapping. Read the Security Issues.

That's true. I didn't mean to endorse any particular solution but rather
to clarify the problem. I believe that only one of your examples
required a feature (runtime provision of the format string) that was not
in Ping's PEP. If another PEP is a better solution to the problem than
the current one then fine. My point is that there *is* a problem!

 Paul Prescod