[Python-Dev] Re: Version Fatigue

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:54:29 -0400

> Guido, I'm not sure that you are always aware what
> people actually like about Python and what they dislike.
> I have heared such complaints from so many people,
> that I think there are reasonably many who don't share
> your judgement.

Tough.  People used to like it because they trusted my judgement.
Maybe I should stop listening to others. :-)

Seriously, the community is large enough that we can't expect
everybody to like the same things.  There are reasonably many who
still do share my judgement.

> Personally, I belong to the more conservatives, too.
> (Stunned? No, really, I like the minimum, most orthogonal
> set of features, since I'm running low on brain cells).
>

> Don't take me as negative. This has to be said, once:
>
> I like the new generators very much. They
> have a lot of elegance and power.
> I am absolutely amazed by the solution to
> the type/class dichotomy, and I'm completely
> excited about the metaclass stuff. Great!

No surprise that you, always the mathematician, like the most
brain-exploding features. :-)

And note the contradiction, which you share with everybody else: you
don't want new features, except the three that you absolutely need to
have.  And you see nothing wrong with this contradiction.

> Much more valuable memorizing than list comprehensions,
> booleans and hopefully no new formatting syntax.

For many people it's just the other way around though.

> All in all Python is evolving good. Maybe we could
> slow a little down, please?

I'm trying.  I'm really trying.  Please give me some credit.