[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:17:14 +0200

<F mode="medium rant, insert winks/smileys as necessary ;-)">

Greg wrote:

&gt; No, that's already checked in as textwrap.py.

are you saying that you cannot rename stuff under CVS?
not even delete it, and check it in again under a new name?

(it's a brand new module, after all, so the history
shouldn't matter much)

I'm +1 on adding a text utility module for occasionally useful
stuff like wrapping, getting rid of gremlins, doing various kinds
of substitutions, centering/capitalizing/padding and otherwise
formatting strings, searching/parsing, and other fun stuff that
your average text editor can do (and +0 on using the existing
"string" module for that purpose, but I can live with another
name).

I'm -1 on adding one specialized module, and then rejecting
other things because we have nowhere to put it, or because
adding a useful function to a corner of the standard library is
so much harder than adding a method to a core data type,
or because a single trainer has decided that he doesn't want
to teach his classes to use modules and call functions...

</F>