[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:34:38 -0400

    FP> However, there are other contexts where the concept of a
    FP> compound dictionary of all globals and locals would be useful.
    FP> Maybe we could have some allvars() similar to globals() and
    FP> locals(), and use `... % allvars()' instead of `.sub()'?  So
    FP> this would serve both string interpolation and other avenues.

Or maybe just make vars() do something more useful when no arguments
are given?

In any event, allvars() or a-different-vars() is out of scope for this
PEP.  We'd use it if it was there, but I think it needs its own PEP,
which someone else will have to champion.

-Barry