[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:39:42 -0700

[Delaney, Timothy wrote]
> > From: barry@zope.com [mailto:barry@zope.com]
> >=20
> >=20
> >     MS> What's the advantage of using ${name} and ${country} instead?
> >=20
> > There's a lot of empirical evidence that %(name)s is quite error
> > prone.
>=20
> Perhaps an unadorned %(name) should default to %(name)s?

Or:
- get pychecker2 working (the one that does not need to import modules
  that it checks, I *think* that that is one of the pychecker2 features)
- get PyChecker in the core
- provide a python flag to load the pychecker import hook to check your
  code when running it (say, '-w')
- have PyChecker warn about "%(name)"-sans-formatting-character
  instances in strings (if it does not already).

Trent

--=20
Trent Mick
TrentM@ActiveState.com