[pybsddb] Re: [Python-Dev] Please give this patch for building bsddb a try

Gregory P. Smith greg@electricrain.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:21:41 -0700

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 07:30:11AM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:
>
> > I still think we may want to pull PyBSDDB into the standard distro, as
> > a way to provide BDB api's > 1.85.  The question is, what would this
> > new module be called?  I dislike "bsddb3" -- which I think PyBSDDB
> > itself uses -- because it links against BDB 4.0.
>
> If this is just a question of naming, I recommend bsddb2 - not
> indicating the version of the database, but the version of the Python
> module.

If I hadn't made the initial mistake of naming pybsddb's module bsddb3
when i first extended robin's berkeleydb 2.x module to work with 3.0 I
would agree with that name.  I worry that having a module named bsddb2
might cause endless confusion as bsddb and bsddb3 already exist and did
correlate to the version number.  How about 'berkeleydb'?