[Python-Dev] PEP 292, Simpler String Substitutions

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:46:05 -0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:34:24AM +0100, Duncan Booth wrote:
>What I really don't understand is why there is such pressure to get an
>alternative interpolation added as methods to str & unicode rather than
>just adding an interpolation module to the library?

It could live in the new text module, where Greg Ward's word-wrapping
code will be going.  +1 on /F's suggestion of recycling the
os.path.expandvars() code.

(Maybe a syntax-checker for %(...) strings would solve Mailman's
problems, and alleviate the plaintive cries for an alternative
interpolation syntax?)

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
GERTRUDE: The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
    -- _Hamlet_, III, ii