[Python-Dev] Please give this patch for building bsddb a try

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:40:59 -0400

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:
>>
>> Here's a small patch to setup.py which should fix things in a portable
>> way, at least for *nix systems.  It sets the envar LD_RUN_PATH to the
>> location that it found the Berkeley library, but only if that envar
>> isn't already set.
>
> I dislike that change. Setting LD_RUN_PATH is the jobs of whoever is
> building the compiler, and should not be done by Python
> automatically. So far, the Python build process avoids adding any -R
> linker options, since it requires quite some insight into the specific
> installation to determine whether usage of that option is the right
> thing.
>
> If setup.py fails to build an extension correctly, it is the
> adminstrator's job to specify a correct build procedure in
> Modules/Setup. For that reason, I rather recommend to remove the magic
> that setup.py looks in /usr/local/Berkeley*, instead of adding more
> magic.

-1 if it doesn't at least include an error message saying that we found
dbm but couldn't use it.  (That is, I agree with you that explicit is
better than implicit -- but if we can provide info, we should.)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Project Vote Smart: http://www.vote-smart.org/