[Python-Dev] Python strptime

Brett Cannon bac@OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Do you just want a callout to strptime or should I also include my helper
> > classes and functions?  I have implemented a class that figures out and
> > stores all locale-specific date info (weekday names, month names, etc.).
> > I subclass that for another class that creates the regexes used by
> > strptime.  I also have three functions that calculate missing data (Julian
> > date from Gregorian date, etc.).
> >
> > But one does not need access to any of these things directly if one just
> > wants to use strptime like in the time module, so they can be left out for
> > now if you prefer.
>
> If there's a way to get at the extra stuff by importing strptime.py,
> that's preferred.  The time module only needs to support the classic
> strptime function.  (But as I said I haven't seen your code, so maybe
> I misunderstand your question.)

No, you understood it.  I made all of it importable.  I figured they might
be useful in some other fashion so there is no munging of names or
explicit leaving out in __all__ or anything.

So my question is answered.  Now I just need to write the patch.  Might be
a little while since I have never bothered to learn callouts from C to
Python.  Guess I now have my personal project for the week.

-Brett C.