[Python-Dev] unicode() and its error argument

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:15:35 -0500

    >> According to the docs if errors is set to "ignore", decoding errors
    >> are silently ignored.  I seem to still get the occasional
    >> UnicodeError exception, however.

    mal> The error argument is passed on to the codec you request ... so if
    mal> you're seeing errors with 'ignore' then this is probably the result
    mal> of some problem in the codec.

Thanks.  I've been running my test program a lot the past couple of days.  I
think I squelched a couple bugs in my own code that may have been causing
the problem.  I thought it was because some non-string args were sneaking
into the call, but that appears not to be the case either (the error message
in that case is different than what I was seeing).  Tim's inability to
provoke errors was also suggestive that it was pilot error, not a problem
with the plane.

I'll keep my eye on things and let you know if anything else appears.

Skip

P.S.  Happy Father's Day all you dads out there.