[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
14 Jun 2002 19:16:20 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> IMO that's entirely accidental.  You can use Setup to build either
> form.  I would assume you can use setup.py to build either form too,
> but I'm not sure.

Can you please elaborate? I believe that, because of the fragment

			case $objs in
			*$mod.o*)	base=$mod;;
			*)		base=${mod}module;;
			esac

the line

nis nismodule.c -lnsl	# Sun yellow pages -- not everywhere

will always cause makesetup to build nismodule.so - if you want to
build nis.so, you have to rename the source file.

I don't think you can tell setup.py to build nismodule.so.

So what do you propose to do to make the resulting shared library name
consistent regardless of whether it is build through setup.py or
makesetup?

Regards,
Martin