[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Michael Gilfix mgilfix@eecs.tufts.edu
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:55:53 -0400

On Fri, Jun 14 @ 13:20, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> alex wrote:
> > > cycles.  I still haven't found a way to get the damn thing to just build
> > > my extension and copy it to the current directory, so I can run the
> > > test scripts.
> >
> > I haven't even looked for such a way, since going to site-packages is
> > no problem for me.  If I was developing on a Python installation shared
> > by several users I'd no doubt feel differently about it.
>
> you only work on a single project too, I assume.
>
> I tend to prefer not to install a broken extension in my machine's
> default install, in case I have to switch to another project...  (and
> switching between projects is all I seem to do these days ;-)
>
> (and I maintain too many modules to afford to install a separate
> python interpreter for each one of them...)

  Er, do you encase the main routines for your programs in a
sub-directory?  I usually create a 'libapp' directory and put my
sources in there and then the main application loads main.py from
libapp. That way, setup.py installs libapp into site-packages and I
don't have to worry about multiple projects. That's a definite
help.

  If that doesn't satisfy you, you could always play around with
the install locations and then sys.path.. but that's usually not
necessary.

                     -- Mike

--
Michael Gilfix