[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
14 Jun 2002 13:46:28 +0100

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 11:10:46AM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
> >Yeah, this area sucks.  It interacts v. badly with umask, too.  Maybe
> >I'll work on this bug instead on my next train journey... installing
> >shared libraries with something like copy_tree is gross.
>
> Out of curiosity, why?

Dunno.  It just strikes me as a really bad idea.  If the linker
produces other cruft you'll end up installing that too.

It's certainly possible that core files could get installed, if you've
run tests in build/lib.foo/.

> I've had the patch below sitting in my copy of the tree forever, but
> haven't gotten around to checking whether it fixes the umask-related
> bug: I think it should, though.

I think I tried that and it didn't work, but can't remember all that
clearly.

Cheers,
M.

--
 As it seems to me, in Perl you have to be an expert to correctly make
 a nested data structure like, say, a list of hashes of instances.  In