[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:05:32 -0400

> How about something like this:
>
>   Extension('foo', ['foo1.c', 'foo2.c'], dependencies={'foo1.c':
>   ['bar.h'], 'foo2.c': ['bar.h', 'bar2.h']})
>
> though there is the problem of backwards compatability :/

But this is wrong: it's not foo1.c that depends on bar.h, it's foo1.o.

With the latest CVS, on Unix or Linux, try this:

  - Run Make to be sure you are up to date
  - Touch Modules/socketobject.h
  - Run Make again

The latest setup.py has directives that tell it that the _socket and
_ssl modules depend on socketmodule.h, and this makes it rebuild the
necessary .o and .so files (through the changes to distutils that
Jeremy made).

All we need is for someone to add all the other dependencies to
setup.py.