[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:45:28 +0200

alex wrote:

> The "problem" (:-) is that it's great at just building extensions, =
too.
>=20
> python2.1 setup.py install, python2.2 setup.py install, python2.3 =
setup.py=20
> install, and hey pronto, I have my extension built and installed on =
all=20
> Python versions I want to support, ready for testing.  Hard to beat!-)

does your code always work right away?

I tend to use an incremental approach, with lots of edit-compile-run
cycles.  I still haven't found a way to get the damn thing to just build
my extension and copy it to the current directory, so I can run the
test scripts.

does anyone here know how to do that, without having to resort to
ugly wrapper batch files/shell scripts?

(distutils is also a pain to use with a version management system
that marks files in the repository as read-only; distutils copy function
happily copies all the status bits. but the remove function refuses to
remove files that are read-only, even if the files have been created
by distutils itself...)

</F>