[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:10:04 -0500

    Paul> That's what Perl does ("MakeMaker") but I think it just adds
    Paul> another level of complexity, especially with different "makes" out
    Paul> there doing different things.

If the extra complexity came with no added benefits I'd agree with you.
However, most makes actually do support a fairly basic common syntax.  Who
cares about %-rules and suffix rules?  Those are only there to make it
easier for humans to maintain Makefiles Just generate a brute-force
low-level makefile.  Distutils will then do the right thing in the face of
file edits.

Skip