[Python-Dev] Socket timeout patch

Andrew MacIntyre andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 07:26:05 +1100 (edt)

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I've more or less completed the introduction of timeout sockets.

{...}

> - Cross-platform testing.  It's possible that the cleanup broke things
>   on some platforms, or that select() doesn't work the same way.  I
>   can only test on Windows and Linux; there is code specific to OS/2
>   and RISCOS in the module too.

wrt OS/2:  sock_init() is an OS/2 TCPIP public symbol, which is used in
the OS/2 os_init() (about line 2982 of socketmodule.c, as of yesterday).
This of course clashes with the sock_init() defined in socketmodule.c.

Even though the EMX port doesn't need the underlying sock_init(), EMX'
socket.h defines sock_init() for compatibility with VACPP.

Once the name clash is resolved, the module compiles and completes
test_socket with no problems.

E-mail: andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia