[Python-Dev] Null checking

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:32:08 -0400

> A couple of quick questions for the authors of the Python source: I
> notice that most, if not all, of the Python 'C' API includes null
> checks for the PyObject* arguments, meaning that you can't crash
> Python by passing the result of a previous operation, even if it
> returns an error.
>
> First question: can that be counted on? Hmm, I guess I've answered
> my own question -- PyNumber_InPlaceAdd has no checks.

Unless documented explicitly you cannot count on it!

> I note that the null_error() check in abstract.c is non-destructive:
> it preserves any existing error, whereas other checks (e.g. in
> typeobject.c) do not.

Different goals.  (I'm not sure which checks in typeobject.c you're
referring to.)

> Second question: I guess I really want to know what the intention
> behind these checks is. Is it something like "prevent extension
> writers from crashing Python in some large percentage of cases", or
> is there a deeper plan that I'm missing?

Jim Fulton contributed the code that uses null_error().  I think he
was making it possible to pass the result from one call to the next
without doing the error checking on the first call.  Personally, I
find that inexcusable laziness and I don't intend to encourage it or
propagate this style to other APIs.