[Python-Dev] Changing ob_size to [s]size_t

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:26:59 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>I'm not worried about any modules... take this as PEP-42 wish:
>>>someone would need to check all the code using e.g. file.seek()
>>>and file.tell() to make sure that it works correctly with
>>>long values.
>>
>>That is supposed to work today. If it doesn't, make a detailed bug
>>report.
>

> While file.seek() and file.tell() are indeed fixed, I think MAL has a
> fear that some modules don't like getting a long from tell().  I fixed
> a bug of this kind in dumbdbm more than three years ago, when a long
> wasn't acceptable as a multiplier in string repetition.  Since then,
> longs aren't quite so poisonous as they once were, and I don't think
> this fear is rational any more.

If Martin has checked the code for this already, I'm fine.

I stumbled across problems in this area with mxBeeBase which did
not support using longs as addresses and since the problems
are rather subtle, I assumed that other code not specifically
built for handling longs in file positions could have similiar
problems.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH