[Python-Dev] Changing ob_size to [s]size_t

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:23:46 -0400

> > I'm not worried about any modules... take this as PEP-42 wish:
> > someone would need to check all the code using e.g. file.seek()
> > and file.tell() to make sure that it works correctly with
> > long values.
>
> That is supposed to work today. If it doesn't, make a detailed bug
> report.

While file.seek() and file.tell() are indeed fixed, I think MAL has a
fear that some modules don't like getting a long from tell().  I fixed
a bug of this kind in dumbdbm more than three years ago, when a long
wasn't acceptable as a multiplier in string repetition.  Since then,
longs aren't quite so poisonous as they once were, and I don't think
this fear is rational any more.