[Python-Dev] textwrap.py

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:44:02 +0200

Greg Ward wrote:

> Which, after whitespace-mangling, becomes
>
>   ... end of a line. And here's ...
>
> which is incorrect (sentences should be separated by two spaces in
> fixed-width fonts).

that depends on the locale.

the two space rule does not apply to swedish, for example.

and googling for "two space rule" and "one space after" + period
makes me think it doesn't really apply to english either...  see eg

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.OneSpaceorTwo.html

    "There is a traditional American practice, favored by some,
    of leaving two spaces after colons and periods. This practice
    is discouraged /.../"

(and thousands of similar entries.  from what I can tell, the more
*real* research done by an author, the more likely he is to come
down on the one space side...)

</F>