[Python-Dev] Changing ob_size to [s]size_t

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 22:25:11 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>Until then, I'd rather like to see the file IO APIs and related
>>types fixed so that they can handle 2GB files all the way
>>through.
>

> Which file IO APIs need to be fixed?  I thought we supported large
> files already (when the OS supports them)?

The file object does, but what the mmap module doesn't and
it is not clear to me whether all code in the standard lib
can actually deal with file positions outside the int range
(most code probably doesn't care, since it uses .read()
and .write() exclusively), e.g. can SRE scan mmapped
files of such size ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH