[Python-Dev] Proto-PEP for maintaining backward compatibility

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 16:01:16 -0400

> > > In this case I propose to add it to the standard library
> >
> > That's a non-sequitur.
>
> I don't understand what you mean.
> What I mean is:
> If modulefinder provides functionality outside the freeze tool,
> and if it is maintained anyway, why not add it to the library?

My "Suppose that..." was in the context of the freeze tool.  Since
modulefinder.py looks in .pyc files, it has to track the .pyc file
format, hence it cannot be required to be 1.5.2 compatible.

Only *you* are claiming that it is useful outside the freeze tool.