[Python-Dev] Proto-PEP for maintaining backward compatibility

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 21:15:26 +0200

> > > Can you elaborate?  Can't you include the last version of
> > > modulefinder.py that supports 1.5.2 in your py2exe distro?  Or run
> > > py2exe with a 1.5.2 python?  It seems to me that modulefinder.py
> > > depends on the dis.py module of the current Python -- how can you use
> > > a modulefinder.py from Python 2.x for a Python 1.5.2 program?
> > >
> > First, I want to use a version-independend modulefinder in py2exe,
> > if possible.
> > Second, it seems to work from 1.5.2 up to 2.2, currently. Except
> > for a single use of a string method someone overlooked probably,
> > see http://www.python.org/sf/564840.
> >
> > modulefinder simply uses some opnames from dis, and all seem to be
> > present already in 1.5.2.
>
> So why can't you include a copy of modulefinder.py in your distro?
That's what I'm doing. I just want to keep it up-to-date with
the latest and greatest version from the Python distro with the minimum
effort.

> You seem to be using it beyond its intended use.

You mean the cross-version use? As I said, it works nice.

Anyway, if there is a strong reason to do so, it can be
removed from PEP 291 - but string methods and booleans
aren't such a reason (IMO).

Thomas