[Python-Dev] Re: What to do about the Wiki?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:24:12 -0400

> > Juergen seems offline or too busy to respond.  Here's what he wrote on
> > the matter.  I guess he's reading the entire log into memory and
> > updating it there.
>
> Jürgen is talking about the file event.log which MoinMoin writes.
> This is not read into memory. New events are simply appended to
> the file.
>
> Now since the Wiki has recursive links such as the "LikePages"
> links on all pages and history links like the per page
> info screen, a recursive wget is likely to run for quite a
> while (even more because the URL level doesn't change much
> and thus probably doesn't trigger any depth restrictions on wget-
> like crawlers) and generate lots of events...
>
> What was the cause of the break down ? A full disk or a process
> claiming all resources ?

A process running out of memory, AFAIK.

I just ran a recursive wget on the Wiki, and it completed without
bringing the site down, downloading about 1000 files (several views
for each Wiki page).  I didn't see the Wiki appear in the "top"
display.

So either Juergen fixed the problem (as he said he did) or there was a
different cause.

I do wish Juergen responded to his mail.